Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Reflection on Oral Presentation!!

One problem I usually faced when giving presentation is that I tend to get nervous just before I present. I also realize that when I’m nervous, I tend to speak very fast during the presentation and this is one thing I’m always trying to improve upon.

Looking back at the presentation that day, I was nervous at the start, resulting in some stammering on my part. However, as I slowly regained my composure, I begin to slow down a little, even though I still think the speed was too fast. I also tried to make some eye contact with the audience, which is a good thing as it keeps the audience involved in the presentation. I believe that with more practice, my performance for the day can be better.

Of course, I feel that there are definitely good things about my group’s presentation. Even though our group’s slides are not as nicely decorated as the other groups, I feel that the slides have a good flow to it, allowing the audience to easily understand the points we are trying to bring across. The font sizes on the slides are also big enough for the audience to perceive comfortably from their position.

As for the question and answering session, I thought our group did a good job on it. Even though some of the questions asked were much related to life science syllabus which I’m clueless about, I though Gerard did a very good job explaining to the audience regarding these questions in this aspect. Our group also tried not to add on to answers given by our group mates during the Q&A session which I feel, is a good thing.

Lastly, I think our group did a good job in getting our ideas across to the audience and I really enjoyed working with Alex and Gerard. =)

2 comments:

  1. Hey weixi,

    I think that your OP was very well done, i can see that you knew your stuff and speak fluently. I think that you spoke clearly and had good volume. I think that like you mention before your only problem is that you really speak in a very long sentences without any pauses, woah, I think you got very good lung power! Yup, I think with lots of practice, you’ll be an excellent presenter. Also, I think you handled the QnA session well too!

    Cheers,
    guoren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Weixi,

    I agree with what you've shared. Because you spoke loud enough I did manage to follow your presentation throughout. But you did go quite fast and it became a little hard to follow some long sentences. May be instead of trying to fitting in all the information in one or two sentences, you could break it down and make it easier to follow.

    But you didn't look all that nervous. And I am sure that with a few rehearsals, you will be a lot more confident. And yes, your team did handle the Q&A session really well considering you were asked some difficult questions.

    ReplyDelete