Saturday, April 17, 2010

Final Reflection: Looking Back at ES2007S

I remembered the objectives of taking this module initially is to prepare myself in handling interview questions as well as to learn how to write resume and application letters. Since I am graduating at the end of this coming semester, these skills will be very relevant to my job seeking process. However, looking back at what I have gone through in this module, I realize that there is more to it in preparing oneself for interview, which is learning other important communication skills such as how to conduct an effective presentation as well as writing good proposal.

Being in the faculty of engineering for 4 years, there are minimal opportunities to speak or present in front of an audience. Hence, I was a little worried when I knew that speaking in front of an audience will be a frequent activity in this class. However, I also realized that this module will be able to help me to improve on my presentation skills as there will be numerous opportunities for me to speak in front of many people.

I have indeed learnt a lot from this module, particularly in the area of presenting effectively to people. I was exposed to various techniques such as the need to smile and maintain eye contact with the audience so as to keep them involved throughout the whole presentation. The use of tone during presentation will also help to deliver the points one is trying to make to the audience.

Overall, I feel that ES2007S is one useful communication module that I have taken as it helps students to improve on their written and spoken communication skills. However, I feel that the 4 MCs that are allocated to this module do not justify the heavy workload in this module. There is simply too much things to be done in this module, as such, I will recommend more MCs to be allocated to this module or that the workload to be reduced. =)

Lastly, I will like to thank Ms Lim for making the ES2007S class so interactive and fun and also for her invaluable advice which has helped me to improve on my communication skills particularly in the area of dealing with interview questions as well as giving presentations. I enjoyed the company of the classmates as well and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors and hope to see you all around soon in the future. =)

6 comments:

  1. Hi Wei Xi,

    Thanks for the detailed sharing! I definitely learnt a lot from this module, way more than I thought I would be taking away for this module. Indeed, these skills learnt will definitely prepare us for life after graduation.

    I will have to agree with you that perhaps more MCs could have been allocated for the module to justify the workload. Also, glad to have known you through this module! Lets keep in touch and see you soon. All the best in your future endeavours! =)

    Cheers,

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wei xi,

    Looks like we were both equally surprised by the amount of class participation (and in particular, sharing/speaking in front of an audience) required in this class.

    I think increasing the number of MCs for this module is a fabulous suggestion! In some ways, I actually feel that this module can be way more demanding than some of our engine mods. Not sure what you think (:

    Finally, like you, this module was definitely one beneficial and useful one. As we step into the next phase in life, just want to wish you all the best. It was definitely a pleasure working together with you, Alex and Benedict, especially during the peer teaching. See you around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Weixi,

    Haha yeah wanted to thank you for the opportunity to work with you on the peer teaching too. It was quite a good bit of fun exploring how to use wikis. Thanks for teaching us!

    Yup this module certainly benefitted me in ways I didn't expect at the start. Wishing you all the best! Hope you'll continue to pursue your dream job, or get something as close to it as possible haha.

    Cheers
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Weixi =]
    I think many of us in the class started off with very different ideas as to what the module entailed. Yet, there have definitely been many learning points for us. Your suggestion on increasing the number of MCs for the module is a good one. And I agree with Jia Lin that the workload for this module does seem heavier than some core modules we have to take!
    There definitely have been changes in your presentation skills over the weeks. I think you are a more confident and effective speaker now. So kudos on that!
    It really has been a pleasure working with you in class. Congrats on graduation and all the best with the job search!
    Regards,
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Wei Xi,
    Yeah I'm sure that more all of us who are graduating this semester, the skills we learnt in this module are indeed invaluable. Like you, one reason I also took the module was to learn more about job interview skills and writing resumes and I know I have improved a lot in these areas. Further, I totally agree with you about not getting enough chances to present in front of an audience. I guess it's the same for all engineering and science modules, where you just learn the theory and sit for exams. That's why I found this module to be a nice change, where we got to actually present in front of the class.
    So anyway, it was nice to have you as a classmate and though the workload was heavy, I'm sure you will agree with me that it was a very fun-filled class. I wish you all the best in your future work :)

    Cheers,
    Madhu

    ReplyDelete